Friday, January 16, 2009

Interlude: With Dog

I think I figured out Gigi's problem.

Promptly at 5 p.m. each evening she became agitated. As there were no more fireworks since New Year's Eve, I began to realize that she was afraid we are going to leave her in the dark again, like that night when the power went out. I'm no expert on dogs--I just know Gigi.

First I tried to make the dark a positive experience by taking her out for walks in the evening. Then I showed her that only calm behavior is acceptable and that her place is in her crate, not scratching on my door. And to help her adjust quicker, I came home after school instead of going straight to the club to work out. Though I did that, I totally ignored her to show her that whether I come or go is no big thing. Now she's back to enjoying her normal pursuits--harmonizing the jingle of the Wall's ice cream cart and barking at anything that enters the cul-de-sac.

Andy said, Wait until the first thunderstorm. Silly Mutt.

Walk good,
Jo Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment