Monday, December 21, 2009

A New Traditional Christmas With Love From Bangkok


Dear Ones:

Every Christmas in Jamaica we had fruitcake. Friends gave us theirs and Mom made hers. Every baker made her fruitcake differently; some were spicy others sticky and fruity, some were like puddings while others were like moist dark cakes, but all were caressed by the smooth under-notes of brandy or rum.

Naturally, I baked a fruitcake at Christmastime too. I would start soaking the fruits in wine in early November. The finished product was baked in a bain marie. But Andy and the kids always pronounced the result "too sweet." Indignantly, I would say, that's how it's supposed to taste. The fruitcakes invariably ended up in the freezer and after ten months, in the trash. I finally ditched the fruitcake from my Christmas Table--there are some traditions that are dispensable. But there's room for some new ones too.

This year I am giving away home-made baked goods as gifts. On my to-give list: Whole Lotta Nuts Granola, Mexican Wedding Cakes, Cherry Garcia Cookies, Chocolate Loaf Cake, Banana Tea Bread, and Pound Cake Classic and Brown Sugar.

As I was baking, I was thinking of absent family and friends, people who live thousands of miles away but who are always near and dear to me. Taranee, Mom and Dad, and my sisters and brothers, all my nieces, nephews, and cousins, and all our friends in Canada and in the States. But we had our losses too, for in two weeks this spring, four lights were diminished: we miss you Titi, Aunt Veda, Mrs. Wong Ken, and Florence. I felt diminished too, and deeply aware of the preciousness of each and every one of us.

Once I guarded my recipes as if they were secrets, but I've learned that if you give away something you love, you get back so much more in return. So I'd like to share with you all a virtual gift, a recipe from my new Traditional Christmas: Whole Lotta Nuts Granola. I'm sharing it with you because a friend shared it with me. This recipe is the perfect virtual Christmas gift. So, make it, eat it, and share the recipe.

Whole Lotta Nuts Granola

A week ago Mimi gave me a bag of almonds in the shell. While I was wondering what to do with them, Thavida gave me this recipe for granola. She had kitchen-tested it herself, saying that it is as easy to make as it is delicious. It is. Absolutely! As it bakes, the granola has the most wonderful cinnamon-vanilla smell; it fills up my kitchen and permeates my heart with its honest goodness.


Ingredients

3 cups old fashioned rolled oats

1/2 cup slivered almonds [My note: I'm using a cup of whole almonds]

1/4 cup pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds

1/4 cup chopped walnuts (or pecans or pine nuts)

1/2 cup unsweetened flaked coconuts [Thavida's note: I never include this.] [Me, too.]

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon salt

4 tablespoons unsalted butter

1/3 cup honey

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 cup raisins or chopped apricot or dates

1/2 cup dried cranberries or blueberries or cherries (or a combination)


Preparation

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F


In a large bowl stir together oats, almonds, (coconut), seeds, nuts, cinnamon and salt. In a small saucepan melt butter with honey over low heat, stirring. Add vanilla and pour butter over oat mixture and stir until combined well.


On a large baking sheet, spread the granola evenly in a thin layer. Bake, stirring every 5 minutes to keep from sticking or burning, until golden brown and crisp, about 20 minutes. (Do not overcook, the granola will crisp more when cooled.) Cool the granola in the pan on top of the stove and stir in dried fruit.


Granola can be kept in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.


Serve at room temperature in a bowl with milk or as a snack. [Sprinkle it on top of home-made Greek-style yogurt with a drizzle of honey. ]


So Andy, Taranee and AJ would like to join me in giving these our very best wishes to you all: may you always have a warm house, enjoy the hugs of your loving family, and share the gift of YOU with someone else.

Walk good,

Andy, Jo Anne, Taranee, and AJ

No comments:

Post a Comment