Monday, April 19, 2010

Cake Monday: Chocolate Chiffon Cake


Rose Levy Beranbaum calls this Chocolate Chiffon Cake "guilt free" in The Cake Bible (1988), because, she says,  one slice of this cake only has 110mg of cholesterol. Since I started baking, I've moved on from butter cakes to chiffon and sponge cakes. I find butter cakes more challenging. However, this version is my second attempt at this chiffon cake recipe. The first time around, the chocolate batter was too stiff. I had mis-read the recipe and only used 1/4 cup of boiling water instead of 3/4 cup to make the chocolate mixture. I started over again, and now I have 1/3 cup cocoa powder left in my pantry and 8 1/2 ounces of egg whites left over in the refrigerator. A third cup cocoa powder isn't enough to make a cake but I suppose I can make an egg white omelet!


I combined the egg whites into the chocolate batter using a slotted skimmer. This is not a common kitchen implement; it's a spatula with a round head filled with tiny holes.  For cooking Chinese food, I thought the only use for a slotted skimmer is to drain deep-fried wontons and spring rolls. Since I now eschew anything deep-fried, I found another use for the skimmer: removing blanched asparagus spears and sugar snap peas from boiling water. Now I have yet another use for it! It worked really well blending the egg whites into the batter without over-mixing the batter or deflating the whipped egg whites. The finished height of this chiffon cake is 4 inches at the edges and 4 1/2 inches in the center. I trimmed the top to make it even all around. The scraps were delicious!



Click to play this Smilebox recipe: Chocolate Chiffon Cake
Create your own recipe - Powered by Smilebox
Free printable recipe card generated with Smilebox

No comments:

Post a Comment