Sunday, February 14, 2010

A Heart-Healthy Valentine for the Year of the Tiger: Pear and Polenta Cake

For Chinese New Year, we invited the family over for skillet pizza--I'm starting a new CNY tradition!

For dessert, I tried, for the first time, this cake by Maggie Pannell. This cake is neither pink nor red--not the traditional colors for Valentine's or Chinese New Year either!  I also made some adaptations.  For instance, when I found out polenta is made from corn, I used cornmeal instead.  As I did not want to go out and buy too many ingredients that I can't use up, I substituted one cup all-purpose flour and 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder for 1 cup "self-raising" flour. Don't you just love the way the British use English?

The instructions were cryptic. It did not say how long to cream the eggs, sugar, and vanilla, but it did say it would be "thick and creamy." It wasn't. Since this recipe reminded me so much of Caramel Apple Cake, I have borrowed the method: first cream the oil and sugar, then add eggs and vanilla. I also used firm, fresh, ripe pears for the best flavor. This pear cake is low in sugar and fat, and it is delicious warm a la mode with a scoop of vanilla ice cream--if you want to make it a real treat and ignore the consequences. Okay, make it a small scoop.


Click to play this Smilebox recipe: Pear and Polenta Cake
Create your own recipe - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment