Sunday, March 21, 2010

She Bakes and Cooks

Today I had so much energy. I made scones for breakfast, skillet pizza for lunch, and for dinner:  chicken pot pie with home made biscuits,  and for dessert, buttermilk spice cake with pear compote and crème fraîche. I also baked a Golden Almond Butter Cake for school tomorrow.


I added a dollop of St. Dalfour's strawberry jam on the plate. The scones were light, moist, and a tad too flat. The recipe is for 8 scones but I got 12. I had rolled out the dough to 1/2 inch thickness so I recommend patting it flat, rather than rolling it,  to 1 inch thickness then cutting it into rounds.


We invited Robert and Anne to dinner to try this new recipe for Quick Chicken Pot Pie. I felt confident because this recipe comes from America's Test Kitchen, and I haven't been disappointed so far. This recipe is supposed to be "quick" because of the refrigerator biscuits, store-bought rotisserie chicken, and the frozen veggies. But of course, there aren't any refrigerator biscuits in Bangkok so I made my own. Andy bought a whole freshly roasted chicken from Five Star. I adjusted this recipe by adding to the onion, 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic, 2 cups fresh chopped okra instead of the prohibitively expensive celery, and 2 cups diced carrots. The biscuit, I realized, is really a savory scone to be eaten with hearty stews and thick soups like this pot pie.


The pièce de résistance! This is Bon Appetit's buttermilk spice cake with pear compote and crème fraîche. Making the crème fraîche with a hand mixer took 5 long minutes.  Just think of the muscles I'm developing. On my first attempt at the cake I made the silliest mistake: I forgot to flour the pan before lining it. The bottom fell out of the cake as I was unmolding it. The taste was warm and spicy but there were a good number of holes in the batter due to overmixing. The second time around, the cake was light and delicate; the texture had a fine moist crumb--nearly perfect! The spices were faintly detectable, not overpowering at all. It could be the spices are losing their flavor. In this heat, everything needs to be refrigerated. Sigh.


Click to play this Smilebox recipe: Breakfast Scones
Create your own recipe - Powered by Smilebox
Make your own free digital recipe page


Click to play this Smilebox recipe: Pot Pie with Biscuits
Create your own recipe - Powered by Smilebox
Make a recipe page


Click to play this Smilebox recipe: Spice Cake, Pears, Creme
Create your own recipe - Powered by Smilebox
Free recipe card design created with Smilebox

No comments:

Post a Comment