Monday, January 18, 2010

Cake Monday: 7 Up Pound Cake


Last weekend I experimented with a Cola Cake that turned out to be an unmitigated disaster. So, you ask, why try another soda pop cake? Well, the original recipe for the 7 Up Cake came from the folks at America's Test Kitchen, and the cakes they make are practically (almost always) fool-proof. Nevertheless, I had misgivings about this cake. It calls for 2 1/2 cups sugar, 2 1/4 cups melted butter, and 3 1/4 cups cake flour. Heavy. Well, it is a pound cake after all..!

Everything went in the food processor--except the flour. I forgot the 7 Up! When I remembered it, I was adding the flour. I poured in half a cup between batches of flour and whisked it in. Didn't seem to hurt the cake at all.

I tried a ring shape, just to be interesting. The batter for this recipe fills one 12-cup Bundt cake pan so I divided it between one 6 cup loaf pan (8 1/2x4 1/2x2 1/2) and a 6 cup Savarin ring mold. The cake in the mold was baked in 70 minutes whereas the loaf took the full 90 minutes.

The glaze hardened like cement the minute I added the sugar! I stirred and stirred but it wasn't a pourable consistency. The glaze instructions were uncharacteristically cryptic for ATK. All it said was add the sugar to the citrus juices and stir. So I tried heating the glaze and thinning it with a teaspoon of milk. I ended up making two batches of glaze. I think the glaze looks uneven and I should have dusted off the crumbs off the cake first. I also definitely need practice pouring a glaze. I know it isn't Christmas, but doesn't the plate look pretty though?!


And what about the taste? Well, surprisingly, the 7 Up Cake has a lemon-lime flavor that's tart rather than sweet. The juice and zest cut the sugar both in the cake and in the glaze. I couldn't taste the 7 Up. I wonder what flavored carbonated water is supposed to do to a cake?! The science teachers at school say the soda provides leavening, making the cake lighter in texture. Indeed, the crumb was fine and the cake was delicious. This recipe's worth repeating.

Click to play this Smilebox recipe: Tart but not too sweet
Create your own recipe - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment