Thursday, January 14, 2010

The New York Cheesecake

Last Sunday I was getting over a three week Christmas break. So I baked. I baked a New York Cheesecake, a Cola Cake, a Nutella Swirl Cake, and Chocolate Bread. That baking afternoon is a whole 'nother story. What I want to write about here is the cheesecake. That cheesecake is my favorite thing to bake, and I wanted to make one for my class.


This is Thailand so I had to make some adjustments, mostly dictated by price and availability, and use local ingredients. I used Digestive Biscuits instead of Graham Cracker Crumbs. I got this idea from America's Test Kitchen to use a measuring cup to tamp down the crumbs. I used a Chinese soup spoon instead. Works great!

Getting ready to cream the sugar with the cream cheese. I found it's important to scrape down the sides of the bowl during the mixing, because four packages of cream cheese go into this recipe. Unfortunately, the top of the cheesecake cracked while the cake was cooling and I knew an emergency rescue was in order: a strawberry topping.

I love the garnet color of this fresh strawberry topping! I bought Chiang Mai strawberries as they have a wonderful red center. The sauce turns deep red and doesn't need any food coloring at all. This wasn't photoshopped either, I swear!

Click to play this Smilebox recipe: Bring it on!
Create your own recipe - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment