Monday, January 25, 2010

Cake Monday: Jamaica Spice Cake


This recipe was originally the White Spice Pound Cake in The Cake Bible. I didn't have any brandy on hand but I did have Jamaican rum (for medicinal purposes!). So that went into the cake instead. The crust is slightly crunchy and with a sprinkling of powdered sugar on top it actually "melts in the mouth," as the author of The Cake Bible likes to say. Now I know what she means! The cake has a fine crumb and it's light in texture. It tastes very much like gingerbread and the spicy smell reminds me of Jamaican Easter Bun. The secret ingredient to this ersatz-gingerbread seems to be a teaspoon and a half of cocoa powder--and I won't need the molasses. However, the cloves overpowered the cinnamon so I would reduce the amount to 1/4 teaspoon next time. This recipe is a keeper!

Click to play this Smilebox recipe: Cake Monday
Create your own recipe - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment