Monday, January 11, 2010

Cake Monday: Nutella Swirl Pound Cake















First day of school and it's a Monday too! I tried this cake recipe from La Cuisine d'Helene Recipes only because someone gave us a jar of Nutella for Christmas. Unlike a marble cake, which has chocolate and vanilla batters, Nutella is a paste and remained a paste, even after baking. I had never tasted Nutella before and I find it sweet with a strong chocolate flavor; I couldn't taste the hazelnuts.

I followed the recipe directions and filled a 9x5 inch loaf pan with one-third of the batter. Then I spread about half the jar on top. I decided not to go all the way to the edge. Then another topping of batter and another layer of Nutella. A batter layer finished off the top.

To my consternation, after half an hour in the oven, the cake started to rise above the edge of the pan. The pan was too small. It didn't spill over but it meant that the cake was underbaked in the center after 55 minutes. I tented the cake with a piece of aluminum foil and let it bake the full hour and 15 minutes. The cake ended up dry and flaky and slightly oily on the top and dense on the inside. The oil in the Nutella seemed to have saved the cake from being too dry.

If I baked this cake again, I'd try it in a 6 cup Bundt cake pan. IF someone gives me another jar of Nutella.

Click to play this Smilebox smilebox: Delicious!
Create your own smilebox - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox smilebox

No comments:

Post a Comment